Friday, August 1, 2008

July 09, 2008

The nurse left Devin's chart in the room for a little while, so me being me decided to read it. I skimed through to the part about his scans when he was originaly diagnosed back in May. It said there was cancer on the adrenal gland, femor, hips bone marrow and SKULL!!! I was shocked the Dr's never mentioned the skull to me before this. So I found one of his doc's, but it was the bone marrow dr and asked her. She confirmed that yes the cancer is in the base of his skull and the portion of the skull above his Left eye brow. I was shocked I thought all the suprised were over. I haven't seen the oncology doc sense but I am certainly going to stress why this information wasn't given to me prior.

So Devin had his stem cell harvest on Tuesday. I posted pictures. He went to surgery at about 8am and they put a catheter into the jugular vein in his neck. They started the stem cell collection about 12pm. They had him hooked up to a machine that pulls blood out and seperates the stem cells then buts the rest of the blood back. Afterwards he needed a platelet transfusion otherwise he could have bled out the site where they took the line out. Devin slept through most of this because he was heavily medicated, but he didn't go down without a fight. You know Devin lol.

Well on Monday they did another bone marrow aspiration to check if the cancer has decreased from his bone marrow and there is no change. So the Dr. decided we are going to do one more round of chemo and if it isn't gone from his bone marrow we are going to try something different. More then likely we will go to sloan kettering in NY for there protocal with monoclonal antibodies. But they feel with the cancer in his bone and bone marrow not improving we need a new approach.

So this has been a long discouraging week. We were doing really good with recovering and then boom, we at a stand still. We won't know anything for another 3 weeks, but just pray for MAJOR improvement!

I'll keep everyone posted!

No comments: